Thursday, March 10, 2011

Shrimp Fettucine Alfredo

We eat a fair amount of pasta at our house, usually spaghetti-type noodles with meat sauce but occasionally change it up.  Tonight I decided to make fettucine with homemade alfredo sauce and shrimp.  I cheated slightly by buying frozen pre-cooked headless, peeled and deveined shrimp from Walmart.  They were farm-raised from Thailand but 14 oz. of medium shrimp ready to go for $5 is pretty hard to pass up when you've got hungry folks waiting to eat.  I know you can also cheat a bit by buying jarred alfredo sauce cheaper than you can make it but I choose to make mine from scratch.  If anyone's interested, here's my alfredo sauce recipe as I made it tonight:

1 pint heavy whipping cream (canned evaporated milk will also work well in a pinch)
1 stick unsalted butter
5 cloves garlic - mashed, peeled and chopped
1 Tbsp. Michiu Chinese rice wine (sherry's fine)
1 ea. 5 oz. tub Frigo shredded parmesan cheese
1-1/2 tsp. salt
2 lbs. fettucine pasta, cooked in salted water and drained

I use a medium sauce pan and on low heat slowly melt the butter and add the garlic and stir. Once the butter's melted good and just starting to slightly bubble around the edge of the pot, I add in the heavy whipping cream and slowly raise the heat to low-medium continuing to stir constantly. When the cream starts to look slighty puffy and the butter begins to separate out, I add the salt and the wine and iimmediately start adding the parmesan a little at a time stirring until it all appears to be melting into the cream/butter mixture. Continuous stirring with this sauce is very important or the cheese will settle out on the pan bottom and you'll end up with globs of cheese that will stick to your spoon.  I use a large plastic-tipped spoon that is flat on the end so you can get good contact with the pan bottom.  Once the sauce mixture begins to actually cook a bit, the sauce is ready to go.  If you keep it on the heat too long, the cheese will try to reconstitute itself making for globs.  For tonight, when the sauce appeared done, I added in the thawed shrimp while stirring to heat them through.  As they were pre-cooked, this only took about two minutes.  I then folded in the shrimp and sauce into the just finished fettucine pasta ready for serving.  I also like to dust the dish with fresh-ground black pepper once it's in the bowl.  The family liked it tonight so that makes it all worthwhile. Buon appetito from our house!

No comments:

Post a Comment